What I want in Art


What is it I want in a painting. I want to be stretched, not just my brain but my heart and spirit. I want to feel something big is happening under the surface. That I have a larger life that can be widened by this picture.  This does not have to be so grand a thing.   Even a small shift in color or rhythm might add value to one's life and inform one's moment.  

Perhaps it is the story going on or the color combinations or the way the shapes echo each other. I admit, I don't want to use my brain the way I did in High School Classes or most college classes: Analyzing, synthesizing, summerizing. But I want to use my brain and my heart in loving more by feeling the connection in all things, by feeling something is being built naturally, that the artist is evident in the paint strokes and lines and choice of values. I want to be taken away like Turner takes me away with his huge skies.  Of course this kind of being taken away is from the Masters.,  but it does not have to be so large.  It can be subtle and nuanced and allow one to peek over the hill to a new fresh place or an old remembered pain.